About Me

My photo
Dodson, Louisiana, United States
For many years I struggled with a lifestyle addicted to drugs and alcohol but in 1997 was captured by the Grace of God.....now I can say I am a Christian,Husband,Father. Author of Rehab is not for the Soul " A Journey Out of Addiction"and Chief Operating Officer with the ministry of Louisiana Teen Challenge.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Worried?


Matthew Chapter 6 verse 25 tells us “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life"


I can remember very well the first time I worried as a Christian. It was the summer of 1997 in a cell in Orleans Parish Prison about a day after I had given my heart to Jesus. You see I entered into jail for a seven day stay for public intoxication which was a relief considering I was homeless at the time. God had transformed my life in that cell, I don’t have the words to describe what had happened but after reading the Gospels for two days (thanks to the Gideons!!) I was convinced I needed a Savior. The crazy thing is I had been living on the streets, addicted to drugs, alcohol, etc..... and didn’t worry about anything; but, now that I had given my heart to Jesus all of a sudden I am stricken with worry. You see, when I was immersed in the world, I didn’t worry and now that I am immersed in Jesus I am worried about where I am going to go, what I am going to eat, live etc... when I get out of jail. What am I going to do with this new life that I have found while reading God’s word in this jail cell. I believe that is what the enemy wants us to do. WORRY.
I know that God wants us not to worry as He clearly states in His word.
Worry is a sin. Jesus says 3 times in Matthew chapter 6 not to worry. You see this worry I was attacked with had me really considering that this new life was not for me because the way I had survived on the streets was going to have to change......I was going to have to trust God!
I was worried.
The only thing I had to do to pass time in that cell was read God’s word so that’s what I did. As I read the word I came across the scripture in Matthew chapter 6 that said....
Do not worry about what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life.
After reading this my worry was gone and I walked out of that cell a few days later to start my new life, Do not let worry get you off course, remember what Gods word says
“therefore I tell you do not worry about your life”

1 comment: