About Me

My photo
Dodson, Louisiana, United States
For many years I struggled with a lifestyle addicted to drugs and alcohol but in 1997 was captured by the Grace of God.....now I can say I am a Christian,Husband,Father. Author of Rehab is not for the Soul " A Journey Out of Addiction"and Chief Operating Officer with the ministry of Louisiana Teen Challenge.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

$300.00 and a Chainsaw


1Samuel 15:22:  And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. 

This occurred early in the development of Mount Grace Teen Challenge for men. (2002) Mount Grace Teen Challenge is the second phase program for Louisiana Teen Challenge where we continue to help men after they have been in one of our other programs for at least four months. This is very similar to a previous post, The Tractor, but God used a different situation that I felt really developed my faith using $300.00 and a chainsaw.

We had not been living on the property long and I was searching for ways to raise money.  I can remember walking the property, praying and felt the Lord spoke to my heart to buy a chainsaw, take the men out to these properties that timber had been cut, cut up what the timber companies had left behind into firewood, and sell it. I called our bookkeeper, Sis Gail, and asked about purchasing a chainsaw for the ministry so we could cut firewood and hopefully make some money.  Her response was, she was sorry but we really didn’t have the money at the time and so we continued to pray. After praying about it I felt God spoke to my heart to purchase it myself.  Whoa I thought -- I don’t think we have $300.00. After thinking about it and talking to Sandy we were able to come up with $300.00 to purchase this saw.  Now, you have to understand this was almost as much as my wife and I together made in a week at this time.  But, I do not remember it being a sacrifice.....to obey is better than sacrifice.

We bought the chainsaw and 4 months later the ministry had brought in $26,000.00 selling firewood!  How many times do we ignore the still small voice tugging at the part of our humanity that is generous and we ignore it?  We really need to heed to that voice because you can never go wrong sowing into the kingdom.  It wasn't but a few months later that the businessman that donated the property to Teen Challenge called and wanted to meet with me and he said, “I want to give you and Sandy $3,000.00!!”  My first reaction was he really means he wants it to go to the ministry and so I asked him for clarity and he got real specific and said, “I do not want it to go to the ministry I want it to go to you and Sandy.” I could do nothing but cry. At that time it was a lot of money to Sandy and I. That was $300.00 x 10.....what a return on our investment!  Some people may say it is a coincidence but I know it is the blessing of God.

Always be sensitive to the voice of God because you never know what kind of investment tip He is giving you that is going to give you a major return on your money.  God does not want your sacrifice; He wants your obedience and there lies your blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment